10 Ways To Improve Your Digestive Comfort
WHAT IS DIGESTIVE DISCOMFORT?
It’s talked about a lot in the media, but what exactly is digestive discomfort? It affects different people in different ways, but some of the most common symptoms include: feeling bloated, flatulence (farting), constipation, and a general feeling of heaviness.
WHY DO I HAVE DIGESTIVE DISCOMFORT?
There are lots of things that cause discomfort when you’re digesting food. Some of the most common amongst Australians are; eating very spicy or fatty food, not drinking enough water, and simply eating too much.
WHAT ARE SOME SIMPLE WAYS TO IMPROVE DIGESTIVE COMFORT?
Here are our top tips for comfortable digestion:
- Try eating smaller and more frequent meals (without increasing your overall calorie intake).
- Include fiber rich foods every day – like wholegrains and legumes, and make sure you get your five portions of veg, and two of fruit, each day.
- Eat fish three to five times per week.
- Reduce your intake of greasy and fried foods, as well as foods high in animal fat.
- Add in fermented dairy products with probiotics – they have proven benefits on digestive health.
- Choose lean meats such as chicken and turkey, or choose lean cuts of beef, pork, or lamb.
- Drink two litres of drinking water a day and decrease your intake of caffeinated, alcoholic and sugar rich drinks.
- Chew your food slowly and well, and avoid eating too quickly.
- Exercise regularly and abstain from smoking.
- Aim to achieve and maintain your ideal body weight.